Cresap Family

Cresap Family

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Walking in Memphis

Top Ten Reasons to visit Memphis:
10) In 2007 Forbes Magazine named it the most sedentary city in the US.
9) In 2005 it rated #4 for crime in cities with more than 500,000. (It has 671,000) Experts attribute the crime to gang activities.
8) It is the birthplace of the Blues and R&B.
7) It is the deathplace of Martin Luther King, the day after he delivered his "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech. (He is one of my most-admired heroes. I'm looking forward to really celebrating Martin Luther King Day--no more of this watered down human right's day stuff.)
6) It is home of the world's best barbecue (Clint and I tried it in May and I have to say, it is Sooooooo Goooood!)
5) Graceland - home of Elvis!
4) Shelby County Schools are ranked in the top 100 school districts in America, with a 95% or higher in all subjects county-wide as tested by No Child Left Behind testing. The schools have outstanding special education as well (Millington is the world headquarters for the Navy's Exeptional Family Member Program, so the schools there have to be good at special ed.)
3) $180,000 buys you a 3,700 square foot, 5 bedroom, 3 bath house with a 1/2 an acre and a pool.
2) The Memphis Temple is on your "temples we haven't visited yet" list.
1) The Cresaps will be there starting June 2008, and will have plenty of room for visitors!
So, we've accepted orders to Memphis, TN (Millington, to be precise, which is 20 miles north). Sarah sighs a HUGE sigh of relief because the suspense has been killing her. Those itchy military feet. Clint can sigh a huge sigh of relief because Sarah will stop bugging him.

5 comments:

Chris said...

I wasn't aware that there was an ocean in Tennessee. Maybe I should have stayed awake in Geography.

Seriously, Congratulations. Sounds like it will be fun. Although the bad part is that you will be exactly the same distance away from us as you are now. Couldn't you pick somewhere a little closer to Colorado?

Kristen said...

Wow - Memphis. That is one of the places I have never been (and never had a reason to go). But now I will! Congrats!

Tylershark said...

Memphis was never on my "Places to visit before I die" list, but it is now. Our trip to Memphis will be a lot cheaper than our now-cancelled trip to London. I'll spend the savings at the World's Best BBQ.

kate said...

cool! maybe we'll have to think more about vanderbuilt, if that becomes a real option. It would be soooo great to be only a couple hours away from you guys!

Jessica said...

I just mapquested and they suggest you take I-40 to get to Memphis. This is good news for two reasons. 1) You will drive right past Seligman, AZ...now you get to see it! 2) We can be your first pit stop as you journey across the country with your four boys, I mean 3 boys and an unknown two month old. Do you know how long you'll be there?